Ponte delle Catene - Lucca
Built between 1844 and 1860, it was commissioned by the Duke of Lucca, Charles Louis de Bourbon, and designed by Lorenzo Nottolini. It is one of the first suspension bridges in Italy. This work is based on the innovative use of iron industrial techniques, through the chain suspension, and on a complex underground mechanism maintaining the chains’ tension. There has been a real radical intervention, with the complete disassembly of the deck, as far as both the iron works and the woodworks are concerned. Subsequently the iron works have been replaced, some "remanufactured", others faithfully reproduced according to the original design of Nottolini. The totally flaking wooden part was completely rebuilt. In the last intervention the lead pholstery of one of the two pylons has been renovated.